Posts filed under ‘sales’
Why is the marketing budget the first thing management cuts when sales soften or the economy heads south?
They could sell the conference room furniture. They could even fire some of the dead-heads in the (whatever) department. But NO!!!
The problem is RESULTS.
That 27-acre conference table impresses the hell out of customers, vendors and visiting market analysts. Results.
Salespeople sell things. Some more than others, but selling things puts money in the bank. Salespeople produce results.
“Time out,” you say. “Marketing gets results. We collected more business cards at our last trade show than ever before. Our new ads have generated more inquiries that we can handle. Lotsa people visit our website! We give the sales department tons of leads.”
Question: Where are the results?
Salespeople don’t have a lot of time to call on unqualified leads. And let’s face it, a lot of the people who respond to ads are just shopping. Most of the people who go to trade shows aren’t decision makers.
So, how do we get results? We qualify the leads. We find out which ones have the money, the need, the motivation and the authority to make or champion a buying decision.
We get answers to the questions the salesfolk would ask if they were talking to the customer face-to-face. We give the sales department Class A prospects, not cold leads.
When marketing departments generate results like these, they get funded, supported, and respected.
All too often, sales and marketing people have different objectives. If they do, they can spend more time bickering than creating bottom line results. Or worse, they just go their separate ways.
If you want to find out if your sales and marketing people are working together, send them a simple questionnaire. Make sure a copy goes to every sales rep, manager and executive. Send it to every person in the marketing department and the people at your ad agency, design studio or public relations firm.
Ask them this: “In fifty words or less, who is our ideal customer?” The answers will be revealing.
Click the image below to download a PDF copy of my eBook, “The Winning CEOs Marketing Handbook.” If you like it, feel free to share it with other business owners, company presidents, and CEOs.
I just read a great post on Entrepreneur.com by Mark Stiving. “I continually find business owners price their products or services based on what they cost, versus what their customers are willing to pay. Even worse, I find businesses that base prices simply on what their competitors are able to get away with.” His advice:
- Listen to your customers.
- Know your competition.
- Be honest and fair in your self-evaluation.
- Recognize that customers are different from others.
Based on an article for the Harvard Business Review, 12/2010
by Lynette Ryals and Iain Davies, illustration by Open, NYC
“CEOs are investing more than ever in their sales forces, but results aren’t improving. To understand this disconnect, (the authors) observed 800 sales professionals in live sales meetings. (They) discovered eight sales types. The bad news is that only three of them—accounting for a mere 37% of sales people—were consistently effective. What’s more, some of the behaviors of the remaining 63% actually drive down performance. But there’s good news, too: The eight types represent behavioral tendencies, not set-in-stone personalities. Managers can effect changes in their current salespeople and recruit better team members in the future if they understand the eight types.”
See 9 slides that represent their findings then
come back and share your thoughts.
by Abe WalkingBear Sanchez
Some younger people fear that in their future they will not do as well materially as their parents’ generation and because of that they face a bleak future. Well I have good news and better news, so fear not.
GM (General Motors), the old GM that once roamed the world stage like a 900 pound gorilla not the “new” smaller and more humble GM that filed for bankruptcy, came up with the idea that the car you drove defined who you were and created different brands for different classes of consumers. If you were a doctor or lawyer you drove a Caddy, successful business types drove Buicks and Oldsmobiles, up and comers drove Pontiacs and for the common man there was the Chevy. (more…)
from Ken Sethney [marketing coach]
You have the right to pick up the phone and call anybody… and they have the right not to take your call.